Pros:
It's the only time I actually have company when I work out, and I run with some really cool people
It gets me out into the forest at lunchtime instead of sitting on my butt indoors all day;
I'm known as a "runner" in my department, I love being one of the "fit" people
It gets one workout over for the day and leaves the evening free for another, or for family stuff
I get ridiculously competitive and work harder than I would if I was alone
Cons:
Changing in the toilet
Walking around the office in your running clothes. Sometimes people decide that's the moment to talk to you about work - I always feel self conscious and pretty much naked
When I come back from a run, I am a delightful shade of magenta - I think I look fit and hardcore until I see myself in the mirror and discover that I just look like a sweaty tomato
Certain people in the department feel entitled to comment on my fitness/weight at great length (MY fitness, MY weight, MY business)
We run for an hour, but add in waiting for people at the start, waiting for people at the end, showering, eating and regaining senses, it's more like a 2-hour thing
I get ridiculously competitive and work harder than I should
Yesterday's workouts:
Lunchtime run. Where I got ridiculously competitive with a colleague and worked crazy hard, and had a fabulous run.
A failed evening swim. After a beautiful sunny day, as I sat on the tram to the pool the heavens opened. No problem, I like swimming in the rain. As I sat on the bus, it began to thunder. Less good. I arrived at the pool with a few minutes to spare before last entry. It was raining cats and dogs and there was thunder all around me. As I walked up to the woman to pay, the sky was split open above my head with a big fork of lightening. Enough, I turned around and went home.
Evening strength workout. Annoyed by not having swum, I worked my arms and core as hard as I could for 45 minutes. I hurt today.
Tonight:
Another attempt at making it to the pool.
Coming up this weekend:
My mum is visiting over the weekend, and so I'm taking Friday off (YES!!) to spend with her. And ok, I might take advantage of the time before she gets up to go for a swim. And on Saturday afternoon I'm dragging the poor woman out to a village in the middle of Baselland to watch me run 12.3 km. I've never run further than 10 km before. Cool!
And in other news:
UP THE WOLVES!!