Friday, 10 July 2009

Pre-race - Züri triathlon short distance

So, this is it. In an hour or so I'll head off, pick up my bike from the bike repair shop (this is called cutting it fine) and catch a train to Zürich.

I'm not really nervous, it doesn't really feel real yet, that this time tomorrow I'll have finished my first triathlon and ticked an almost-lifelong goal off my list. Mostly I'm worried about the logistics - finding my way around Zürich, picking up my number, hoping my bike is ok, getting there in time tomorrow to check in. I just want to be there now, everything sorted, and at the start. I'm so ready to GO!

The sad thing is that my husband and daughter won't be there tomorrow to cheer me on, or take pictures. So I'll be going it alone, unless my friend Sarah (who I'm staying with tonight) plans to come there with me.

I don't really feel on top form, or as fit as I would like. Trips to England are a bit of an emotional rollarcoaster and never very relaxing. I spent the hours that Federer took to beat Roddick cleaning, polishing, rust removing and giving my bike some love. She actually looks pretty cool now, in a vintage kind of way. I have not had any practice swimming in open water, in fact, I haven't been swimming at all for almost two weeks. But it'll be fine! I really hope everything comes together at the right time for tomorrow.

My goals for tomorrow? I have no idea, really no idea, what my times will be. My ambitions are only to finish, to enjoy the experience and to give my all. I hope I love it, I hope I get bitten by the bug, I hope I want to come back for more!

OK, I lied, I'm completely nervous! Here goes....