Tuesday, 19 May 2009

10 minutes, 10 km, 10 miles...

What a year this has been. In January, I decided that this was the year I was going to get fitter and start running again, and set out for a few plods. I couldn't even manage to run 10 minutes at first. In February, I realised that what I wanted most was to do a triathlon and I ventured tentatively out on my bike and into the pool. At the beginning of April, I ran a 10 km race, almost exactly 10 years after my last one. And things have just got better and better. On Saturday, I knew it was time to break another personal barrier, and I ran 10 miles.

I mapped out a route that passed by a drinkable fountain 3 times, and let myself go at whatever pace I needed. I had hydrated too much beforehand, so I had a stitch for the first 4 miles. But it didn't matter. I knew I was going to make it. I ran through the gorgeous Therwil forest once again. My legs didn't feel tired at all until the last miles or so and I had plenty in reserve. I still can't believe I ran TEN MILES!!!

Going further and further is kind of addictive, isn't it?!

I felt like SuperMum this weekend. Saturday - got up, shopped, cleaned flat, ran 1o miles, baked a cake with my daughter (then drank beer and watched the Eurovision song contest but we'll ignore that bit). Sunday - got up, cleaned flat some more, cycled into the forest with some friends for a barbeque - a belated birthday celebration for my daughter, came home and fed everyone coffee and cake, flaked out.....

EDIT: I just mapped my route on Buckeye Outdoors and realised I made a bit of a wrong turning in the forest, so my total distance was only 9.8 miles. Dammit! Still, I'll take it!