Monday, 2 March 2009

Fasnacht




No work today, because it's Fasnacht time here in Basel. The time when the whole city turns into a sea of Waggis, confetti and chaos. People who live here tend to love it or hate it, and those who hate it have left the city for the week. I love it, I love the history, the traditions and the anarchy. I love the drums and the music. I love the creativity behind it all. Many people spend their whole year preparing for it. They call it the three beautiful days.

Today was a little bit dampened by the rain, and the Bean decided that she is scared half to death of the Waggis. Along with all the sweets and confetti we managed to accumulate, I was given a free can of beer, which I'm going to drink now!

Went out for a run this morning, but I'm feeling very tired. I can feel my whole body trying to adapt to the high frequency of training. It's hard to know how hard I can push it, or how easy I should take it. I just have to listen to my body and learn to understand what it's telling me.