Sunday, 8 March 2009

Sweet Sunday morning

So there are days like yesterday when you crash and burn, and wonder why on earth you are doing this to yourself. And then there are days like today, when it all comes together in one perfect 40 minutes and you understand every single reason why you do this and what it means to be alive.

I lay in bed early this morning thinking about how far I've come. Not only since January, when I could only run 10 minutes without stopping, but since the year 2000. That was the year I began my long, slow crash off the metaphorical bike of Life. It's taken me 9 years to get back on that bike. And, like my real life cycling, it's still sometimes a quad-burning, nausea-inducing, pulse-racing effort to keep on going. And as I thought about it all, for the first time I felt no regrets. I smiled, at how far I've come at how much I've achieved that no one else can see or measure, that only I know. And then I decided to try to run up the Wolfschlucht.

My daughter was still asleep, and I dressed quietly, grabbed my iPod and set off down the hill from our flat to Leimgrubenweg. Along Gündelidingerstrasse, I tried not to sing out loud, with my music playing and the sun shining. I took the left turn into the Wolfschlucht and began to climb. I thought it would be tough, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting and just at the right moment Muse came on my iPod and powered me up and up.

On I climbed to Studio Basel and down a bit and up again, and then, an utterly perfect moment. My endorphines were flowing and Chasing Cars was playing as I reached the point where you suddenly see the whole of Basel stretching out before you.



I stood for a minute or two, looking out over Lörrach and the Black Forest, listening to my favourite song, thinking about what a beautiful place I live in and who I want to be.

Then I turned and ran towards the hospital, still lost in the song, running hard. As Rammstein came on and pushed me even faster, I felt like I could run for ever, do anything I choose. As if to prove it, as I turned towards home, I saw someone I know, Nordic walking towards me. This is someone I used to REALLY want to impress, and today, when I actually felt quite impressive, I discovered that I no longer cared what she thinks of me, and I just smiled and waved and powered on past.

I ran past our flat and cooled down jogging through the forest with KT Tunstall singing "come over here, lady" and then I was home. Fabulous.

And as I got out of the delicious shower, the Anxiety voice dared to whisper in my ear that I shouldn't feel this good, because something bad could happen if I do. And so I told it to piss off and went to eat my porridge.